Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The End of the Beginning.....of the Action Research Plan



The beginning of this course caused a bit of anxiety for me. I felt excited that I made it through my first online course but wasn’t quite confident in whether that was beginners luck or truly my ability. I came into this course not having a clue of what an Action Research Plan was. When I would read the early posts on Facebook I would become anxious thinking I didn’t have any idea of what they were talking about. Quickly I learned to block the stressors out and learned to walk through each assignment task by task. I realized this whole course was to teach about how to do an Action Research Plan. I wasn’t supposed to come in here with the knowledge of it. I was going to learn it. And I did!
I trained myself to watch the videos from Elvis Arterbury, Ph.D. and Steve Jenkins, Ed.D after I looked at the course overview. They conveyed calmness and a sense of being there to help me through this process. It was always a great way to start the by listening to their conversations and helpful hints. They were both very calming and encouraging which is exactly what this older horse needed.

I also felt the readings were very helpful. The first reading in Leading with Passion and Knowledge by Nancy Fichtman Dana was the most helpful to me. It explained the purpose of an action research plan, the benefits of conducting this inquiry, and the common problem in most people’s jobs of how you will actually find the time to conduct one. The assigned readings from her text brought us from coming up with an inquiry, deciding how you were going to keep track of the data, writing a plan of action, sharing

our progress with others along the journey, and coming up with concluding thoughts about the action research plan so it can be shared with others.  Overall I felt her book was very useful in walking me through this process.



Even though the assignments at times seemed a little daunting to me when I previewed them early in the week, I always felt that they were helpful in assisting me to the end goal or objective for this course- writing and action research plan. One of things I did realize from these assignments and this course was that I really need to preview the entire course to try to map out when I will need to contact other people as part of the assignment.



One of my weaknesses as a leader is that I dislike “bothering” people. This is something I need to get over. I have to rehearse in my head each time that my supervisor agreed to this and really has been nothing but more than helpful. In the back of my head though I keep thinking “Man, she has so much to do and I don’t want to bother her with my dribble.” For the next course I will be previewing right away so I can set up times to sit with my supervisor and discuss my assignments, action research plan, and/or internship plan.



So on I trench to the next course wondering what lies ahead for me on this journey and hoping for continued success.

No comments:

Post a Comment